Saturday, September 10, 2011

September 10

Well, Kyle has certainly been better about keeping this blog updated than I've been. It's hard to believe I've been home now for as long as I was in the hospital/rehab center - three weeks.  Remembering what my first few days back were like makes me realize how much I've progressed.  I can handle stairs by myself and almost normally - holding onto the railing is sometimes optional.  My first outdoor walks were half a block, wearing a brace, holding onto Kyle and watching my step the whole way.  Yesterday I pushed Megan in the stroller through the campgrounds all by myself.  And anyone who's done SavageMan knows what kind of hills that entails!  

Happy Family on our twice daily walk on Brant Rd


I'm sure ongoing physical therapy is helping with many of these improvements.  I go three times a week and do everything from heel lifts to jumping on a small trampoline.  Not ready to try running again yet, but I'm sure that will come.  My therapist is actually the one who recommended I start riding the trainer again.  Kyle cranked up the handlebars so it's easier on my clavicle and he installed the PowerTap so I can track my progress as my power improves.  I can try to do sprints, which apparently will help my brain realize it needs to fire my muscles more quickly.  I can only handle about 20 minutes at this point, so of course I turned one workout into an FTP test.  :-)  Average watts 128, a bit lower than the 209 I was at a few weeks before the accident.  But it will come back and I feel a little bit more normal to be able to get on my bike.

On the trainer - using my SavageMan brick for my front wheel mount and for motivation!

My main complaint right now is just constant fatigue.  But I guess that's one of the things that comes with a head injury and is much better than having to complain about constant pain or not being able to move my left foot.  The docs have said it should subside in 3-6 months, but I'm hoping for earlier since other aspects of my recovery seem to be accelerated.  I'm also about due for a post-injury cognitive assessment which will highlight any remaining mental deficiencies.  That should give me a better idea of when I'll be cleared to return to work and start driving again.  I challenge anyone to a sudoku match!  Neither Kyle nor my mom stand a chance against me now.  http://www.websudoku.com allows you to specify a puzzle so we can all do same puzzle.  I prefer the Evil category!

For the foreseeable future our plan is to stay at the lake as long as we can since renovation work continues on our house in DC and we seem to be handling well out here.  My mom is able to stay with us through September, which has been a lifesaver.  Megan's started solid foods this week, but hasn't quite figured out that that means she's supposed to "sleep like a rock," so it's huge to have someone here to help with her.  And with me!  I'm definitely getting better, but am still resting more than doing anything productive.

Megan with the remnants of her first spoon-fed meal on her face!

Even though the pace of updates to this blog has slowed, I'm still incredibly thankful for everyone's concern and support.  I'll do my best to at least highlight milestones on here.  In the meantime, I'm back online with access to email and facebook so look forward to keeping in touch with everyone the old fashioned way.  :-)  And I leave you with the latest visitor who has been regularly coming by the house to check on my recovery progress....


Oscar has been getting a little too close for comfort.

- Laura

3 comments:

  1. Resting IS productive at this point, so pay attention to what your body is telling you. I feel so much better that you feel (and look) so much better. Thanks for the update!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, sleep. I also had to drop Savageman (and a few others) this year because I'm recovering from a major concussion. Just for some anecdotal comparison, it took about 90 days before I could drive or bike. It took about the same amount of time before I could go a full day without a nap, and I didn't have a baby to take care of! I thought of sleeping as giving my brain a chance to heal. As I got closer to normal, I needed less naps. Also, check with your doc about fatigue that could be caused by medications.
    Glad to hear your feeling better! You'll get there!

    ReplyDelete